NIRS Education focuses on disseminating our research
findings. We also develop educational materials as a resource for interested parties.
In January 2010, NIRS released “The Public Pension Resource Guide.”
The Guide is comprised of the following educational materials:
- Public Pension Basics presents key facts about how pensions work—how beneﬁts are earned, how
pensions are funded, and how investment decisions are made. Download full text here. Fact sheet here.
- Why Pensions Matter discusses the characteristics of pension plans that make them attractive
to employees, employers, taxpayers, and the broader economy. Download full text here. Fact sheet here.
- Strong Public Pensions for Today and Tomorrow identiﬁes practices that can enhance the long-term sustainability of
public pension plans through the integration of funding,
investment, and beneﬁt policies. Download full text here. Fact sheet here.
- Pension Primer provides a basic overview of pensions. Download the primer here.
- Pensions by the Numbers and Who Has a Pension Fact Sheets provide information about the role of pensions
in providing retirement readiness. Download "Pensions by the Numbers" here and "Who Has a Pension" here.
- Glossary of Key Pension Terms
- Frequently Asked Questions