On March 5-6, 2012, NIRS held its Third Annual Retirement Policy Conference, “Retirement Economics: The Impact of Retirement Plans for Americans and the Economy” in Washington, D.C.
More than 250 retirement leaders examined key questions: In the current economic climate, how does retirement security affect economic growth? What are the economic effects of retirement income on the national, state, and local level, and on capital and financial markets? What solutions exist to broaden retirement security, and what effects will these programs have on the wider economy?
The conference featured distinguished thought leaders including:
- Joe Azelby, Head of J.P. Morgan Asset Management’s Global Real Assets Group.
- Congressman Richard Baker, President and CEO, Managed Funds Association.
- Ilana Boivie, Director of Programs, NIRS. Download conference PowerPoint here. Read more about Pensionomics 2012 here.
- Keith Brainard, Research Director, National Association of State Retirement Administrators. Download conference PowerPoint here.
- Keith Bozarth, Executive Director, State of Wisconsin Investment Board.
- Thomas DiNapoli, New York State Comptroller.
- Dr. Roberto Gallardo, Extension Professor, Southern Rural Development Center. Download conference PowerPoint here. Read related study here. (Note: Dr. Gallardo was unable to attend the conference, but his materials are provided for reference).
- Joshua Gotbaum, Director, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
- Mike Heale, Partner, CEM Benchmarking Inc. Download conference PowerPoint here.
- Dr. Patricia Pacey, President, Pacey & McNulty Economic Group. Download conference PowerPoint here.
- Ellen Schultz, Columnist with The Wall Street Journal and
- Author of Retirement Heist: How Companies Plunder and Profit From the Nest Egg of American Workers.”
- At the conference, NIRS released an important study, Pensionomics 2012. The full study and state by state fact sheets are available here.