In an effort to keep retirement leaders informed during the COVID-19 crisis, we are hosting a new series of webinars with timely, relevant information on the economy and retirement. Previous webinars are listed below, and stay tuned for more webinars coming soon.
**Please note that webinar replays regarding NIRS research reports can be found on each report’s research page.
- Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 2:00 PM ET | Join us for a presentation of a new report, Retirement Security and Financial Decision Making, available here. Conducted by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the research finds that nearly half of Americans who retired between 1992 and 2014 did not have the ability to maintain the same spending level for five years following retirement. During the session, you will hear about the findings, which indicate that certain financial decisions may enhance or diminish retirees’ ability to maintain the same level of spending level. For example, for homeowners, entering retirement without mortgage debt, for those with a pension, choosing a monthly annuity rather than in a lump-sum payout, are positively associated with retirees’ ability to maintain the same spending level for five years.
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 2:00 PM ET | Public sector retirement systems are facing market volatility stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic. During this webinar, you’ll hear from retirement system directors about key elements of public sector defined benefit pension plans that remained well-funded during past severe economic downturns.
- Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 2:00 PM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review the presentation of a session with Ronald Temple, Managing Director and Co-Head of Multi-Asset and Head of US Equity, with Lazard Asset Management. He discussed the economic and market implications of the COVID-19 pandemic. and key issues facing investors as we navigate this unprecedented public health and economic crisis.
- Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 1:00 PM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review the presentation with Jim McDonald, chief investment strategist, and Erick Noensie, Ph.D., senior healtcare analyst, with Northern Trust Asset Management on the coronavirus and market volatility. Market fluctuations are triggering key questions for investors about the progression of coronavirus, portfolio re-balancing, growth considerations, interest rates and market risks.
- Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 12:00 PM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review the presentation by Aon on recent research, The Real Deal: Measuring Retirement Income Adequacy. This research offers insight into the overall retirement readiness of U.S. workers and provides a benchmark for employers as they measure the effectiveness and sufficiency of their programs, an issue that is garnering increased attention during the COVID-19 economic crisis. During the session, we will discussed the resources that are needed to generate a secure retirement and how these targets are changing over time.
- Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 2:00 PM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review a presentation about progress on state sponsored retirement savings plans in Illinois and California. Many states are setting up these plans to establish retirement accounts for workers without employer plans to improve retirement readiness. During the session, you will learn about progress with the roll-out of these innovative retirement plans and hear about the process for starting a state-wide retirement savings program.
- Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 2:00 PM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review a presentation by experts from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. They present and discuss various studies—some reflecting the effect of the pandemic—related to overall household financial stability and retirement security. Who was thriving and struggling before the pandemic? Which families will have economic resilience during the pandemic, and which will not? Are particular demographic groups more at risk than others? What are some paths forward? Participants will also have an opportunity to ask questions and engage with the experts.
- Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:00 AM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review a presentation by experts from Baillie Gifford with an update on COVID-19 and learnings from other countries’ responses. The session also provided an update on the current economic situation, the impact on financial markets, and the current investment environment.
- Monday, July 20, 2020 at 2:00 PM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review a presentation by experts with Callan on how the environment has changed for the capital markets given COVID-19, and how capital market assumptions may change looking forward. The session also explored how these changes feed through to the investment advice provided on portfolio design and return and risk expectations.
- Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 2:00 PM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review a presentation by experts from the National Academy of Social Insurance on the importance of social insurance programs to address the current pandemic and recession. The current crisis has exposed weaknesses in protections for working families, and retirement savings often are used to fill gaps in protections. The discussion highlights the role of social insurance in building a stronger society and fairer future.
- Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 3:00 PM ET | Listen/watch a webinar replay and review a presentation on how institutional investors can capitalize on the yield of alternatives by focusing on the idiosyncratic risks that drive returns. This approach allows investors to stitch together multi-asset portfolios in a more efficient, coherent way. Nathan Shetty with Nuveen discussed why a risk factor-based approach works well for alternative asset classes; how to capitalize on the yield and diversification benefits of alternatives; and how institutional investors can leverage the factor-based approach for multi-asset portfolio construction.